About Me

My photo
I love writing. If you want to know anything else just ask me or else read up! I have two blogs ("A Pen Itching To Bleed Onto Paper" and "The Rebirth of J"). One of my blogs (A Pen...) is updated more frequently than the other. "The Rebirth” is more of a story I am writing with my life whereas "A Pen" would be my random thoughts past, present, and future in this unfolding journey I call life. If this is your first time reading my blog, please visit Post #2 for the month of April 2008 in my "A Pen" blog archives... Thanks!

Monday, November 17, 2008

WLM$

Interesting Sunday.

I went home to Williams and we went to visit the park across the street from my parents house. Since my niece is visiting we went to to play basketball for a while. I used to try to play basketball when I was a kid but I sucked so I stopped trying. lol

So I shot a few and missed them all. lol. all of a sudden as I shot the ball I heard somebody say, "Junior...Damn, I saw you...you haven't made the ball once!" I laughed about it and upon a closer look I realized That it was my boys from back in the day, Pancho. It was funny, I've been away from the town for so long that I thought nobody would recognize me but I was wrong.

We started talking for a while about the town, about life. He ended up telling me that he got jumped by some rival gang members and they cracked his head open with a piece of wood. It took the doctors 19 staples to shut it back up. But he didn't regret it... in fact, He was happy because the homies were going to handle the problem 4 him. And I knew exactly what that meant...

A few minutes later another guy cruised by and said, "Oh $#!T, is that Junior?" He pulled over the car and we started talking about the gang life and how the town was getting more dangerous. It was interesting, For a second that same old feeling came back where I felt like I belonged, Like I was home. I was back on the corner of North Street and Virginia, Heart of the North Blocc. I was hanging out with friends that were strapped. They were all decked out in red with red bandanas in their pockets. A sense of paranoia, draped over by adrenaline filled me just like back in the day every time a car cruised by and the homies held their straps and examined the vehicles for potential enemies. It was the same feeling I had when I was 17 and running the streets, and they treated me like I never left.

But then I snapped back to reality. That life was fun at the time but also left me empty. and then my reason for living came back to me and I began to tell them about Christ. i even invited them to church. i told them to bring the whole gang and I would tell them about God. They declined but it was the fact that I proclaimed the light to my past darkness that made me feel great about that walk through memory lane. Praise God for saving me from myself.

2 comments:

milai said...

hope you'll inspire others to take the path you've taken. admitting god into our lives as our personal savior does take a lot of courage. glad you admitted him in. :)

Story of a Girl said...

Proud of you :)