Why do people feel the need to conform to the standards of others? What ever happened to individualism? Why would people go out of their way to change who they are to become like those that are different than them and usually judge them based on who they are? I guess we all feel the need to fit in and ultimately be or feel accepted by those around us.
When studying this phenomenon, one must only look to the teen population. As a person that has been working with youth for a while, I see all trends and styles as they come and as they go. I get to see the inner structures of conformity and attempted individualism in its purest form.
One girl that was like a little sister to me, was a perfect example of this model. In the past the girl prided herself in her individuality. Her style (or lack there of): No make up, no matching clothes, neon colors, different styles, etc. She didn't lok like the average teenager, but she behaved like a leader. For years I saw her as she went against the grain and I was proud of her. Then in the middle of her senior year she begins to conform. She doesn't know style so some of the girls from the church start "dressing her" and "shopping for her." She now covers her face in make up and she tries to act just like everybody else.
Why the change? Such leadership potential wasted to become a follower, something that she never was. I was dissapointed in her for a long time... Then I began thinking about adolesence. This is the age in which you are separating from your parents shadows and you now create your own identity. But WHO ARE YOU?? This girl didn't know who she was and is barely beginning to desire to not be an outcast. Ultimately, all she wants is to fit in, to not be rejected because of her individuality. She is conforming.
None theless, even in the "grown up" world, we also desire to fit in. we want to impress our bosses, our co-workers, our pastors and our fellow church goers. We don't want them to reject us so at times we hide our beliefs, our thoughts, our opinions etc. We are no different than teenagers. Perhaps the rest of our adult lives will be spent changing ourselves to impress and be accepted by those around us. We need to go back to individuality without a fear of rejection. we need to accept all those around us, without feeling a need to change them.
Wo are we? are we who people make us into, or who we want to be? Of course we are who God says we are whether we believe it or not. But Who are we? We are who we want to become...
About Me
- J
- I love writing. If you want to know anything else just ask me or else read up! I have two blogs ("A Pen Itching To Bleed Onto Paper" and "The Rebirth of J"). One of my blogs (A Pen...) is updated more frequently than the other. "The Rebirth” is more of a story I am writing with my life whereas "A Pen" would be my random thoughts past, present, and future in this unfolding journey I call life. If this is your first time reading my blog, please visit Post #2 for the month of April 2008 in my "A Pen" blog archives... Thanks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I couldnt agree more. I find myself having to stifle and suffocate who I really am so I dont scare too many people away...lol. and I find the church environment to be particularly narrow-minded, judgmental, stifling...which it shouldnt be. I dont think Jesus was like that when He was here...good blog.
Cool... very interesting. A sad thing when someone transforms to something negative (a clone) as opposed to something positive. The word of God says it cleary we are not to conform to this world... If we worried more about being like Jesus and pleasing Him we wouldn't worried about pleasing others and fearing their rejection. I want Jesus' approval and no one else's....but that is something my life should reflect in all areas. good stuff sorry for the long comment ;) lol
Post a Comment