About Me

My photo
I love writing. If you want to know anything else just ask me or else read up! I have two blogs ("A Pen Itching To Bleed Onto Paper" and "The Rebirth of J"). One of my blogs (A Pen...) is updated more frequently than the other. "The Rebirth” is more of a story I am writing with my life whereas "A Pen" would be my random thoughts past, present, and future in this unfolding journey I call life. If this is your first time reading my blog, please visit Post #2 for the month of April 2008 in my "A Pen" blog archives... Thanks!

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Random Question

Question of the day: why do Christians believe that being single is a curse and that being married is the best thing since sliced bread? Why aren’t people encouraged to stay single and serve God with their single lives? Why is it that as soon as a person comes to Christ they feel they HAVE TO have a significant other and that that significant other MUST BE “the one?”
Just wondering.

6 comments:

Clueless said...

I believe that God intended for some to be single and some married. Both need to embrace and accept their singleness and being married. Church is a tricky thing if you are single as there is a lot of "game playing." Much of the pressure is self-imposed or peer pressure...generally neither are from God. "The right one" is the one that is mutually giving, loving and caring...just my opinion.

Sassy Trash Organics & Art said...

I am Buddhist... and don't believe that it is only Christians that feel that way.

I believe that it is the society we live in that makes some faiths/ cultures believe that "true" happiness depends on humans finding a mate.

I feel that it was instilled into our elders a long time ago that in life you to have it be fulfilling one must:
1) get an education
2) find a spouse
3) have kids
and so the cycle began to brainwash people of trying to live life another way other than the way "society" told them.

I am 27 years old and my mother is always asking when will you settle down and have kids... and she is Buddhist too! So love it is not just Christians!

Sassy Trash Organics & Art said...

The thing like Clueless said... is to find a person that believes in the same passage of life as you do...

I am battling a situation of my own where I met a person that shares the same perspective on life as I do, but because of what was put into his mind he believes that there is no such thing as a relationship that doesn't have to be "serious".

Well long story short he fears that a relationship will suck the life out of him and that he can't continue life with someone and not have to involve marriage!

J. I feel that life is an adventure where you should embrace what it throws at you. Even marriage and kids... but you must remember to make sure it makes you happy!

Don't shut down one idea because it does not sound "comfortable" without looking at all sides!

J said...

I think all guys think that way at some point. for guys the word "relationship"= "commitment." And while a man might care about a woman he knows very well that a committed relationship is a slippery slope towards marriage. a man eventually grows up and becomes ready to get married but until then any type of commitment is equivalent to the ultimate commitment till death do they part! lol
I'm not trying to shut down marriage. its a great thing at the proper time. I'm just saying people shouldn't cut down the single life and treat it as if it is a curse! all is great in it's proper season!

Clueless said...

J,

You made me giggle about the "proper season," but it is so true. Both have to be equally paced and in the same readiness in their life to become married. My husband was forty when we were married...talk about timing!! He waited quite a while and we have a fantastic marriage of 12 wonderful years. I on the other had did not want to get married...until I met him...God's plans were different than mine.

Story of a Girl said...

yeah i don't know. sometimes i think that the means reason for that is that a lot of people don't want to fornicate. but i could be wrong. but i think that applies especially to those who are very young.

i don't know why people don't view singleness as the only time you'll have to take care of yourself and your relationship with God. cause let's face it -when you're married you have to worry about someone else too.

bout the question about " the One" i think maybe people can just be too optimistic. maybe they're lonely, or tired of waiting, or just impatient and want to meet the one so they can get married like all their friends, peers, etc.