About Me

My photo
I love writing. If you want to know anything else just ask me or else read up! I have two blogs ("A Pen Itching To Bleed Onto Paper" and "The Rebirth of J"). One of my blogs (A Pen...) is updated more frequently than the other. "The Rebirth” is more of a story I am writing with my life whereas "A Pen" would be my random thoughts past, present, and future in this unfolding journey I call life. If this is your first time reading my blog, please visit Post #2 for the month of April 2008 in my "A Pen" blog archives... Thanks!

Friday, October 9, 2009

On Being Judgmental...

I have a question that will hopefully spark some good discussion. Is there any circumstance in which being judgmental can be a beneficial (if even permissible) characteristic of a Christian person?
I’ve never known judgment of other Christians or non-Christians to be something permissible to Christians. I came to that conclusion based on the premise that it seems to be an overall hateful practice and also the following verses:
Do not judge, or you too will be judged. Matt. 7:1
Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Luke 6:37
As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it. There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day. John 12:47
He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead. – acts 10:42
For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead. Acts 17:31
You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. Romans 12:1
You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. Romans 14:10
Brothers, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against his brother or judges him speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it. There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you—who are you to judge your neighbor? James 4:11
So I don’t believe that judging others is something that we are allowed to do. Now my question is this: can judging people as sinners be deemed as beneficial to the church/ Christianity in any way? And if so, are there any verses that support the judgment of others by their peers? Your contribution will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2 comments:

Clueless said...

If we are to be Christ-like then judgement was not one of his characteristics. He was accepting, loving and compassionate, along with speaking the truth of how to be with one another.

Funny, how this matchs my current series.

Story of a Girl said...

i think there are many excuses, not reason for this kind of behavior (done in defiance of God and His Word and Christ's example).

1. insecurity about one's own sin and so one shifts their attention to others instead of themselves.

2. a wrong belief that they are sinless .

3. an erroneous belief that some sins are worse than others.

4. maybe envying what others can do that they may not want to do.

5. not judging themself enough... cause if one did this, one would not have the time to judge another... but these are a mere few only . i'm sure there are much more excuses.