What were a few of the things you remember laughing at the most as a kid?
Smashing bread in stores (which I know is borderline insane) making fun of peoples laughs… that’s all I can remember.
What about now as an adult?
Smashing bread in stores (nostalgic appreciation). making fun of people in general. Quoting funny moments in modern R-Rated comedies. Racist jokes (still funny after all these years).
Is there something that lots of other people find humorous that never really makes you laugh?
What I call square humor. Simple things that have more smile value than laugh factor. People that don’t have a good sense of humor usually laugh at this type of thing. I also call it simple humor. It isn’t complicated, it isn’t dorky funny (what squares call dumb funny), it usually isn’t very funny at all. Nonetheless it makes squares roll.
Do you think Christians are afraid of humor?
Yes, Most are. I imagine jesus being very funny loveable, and loving. Others imagine him always preaching long boring sermons, always being serious, and always condemning people to hell. Since they consider this to be a “serious” matter (and it is but there are also times to laugh), they make Christ seem boring, and he really isn’t.
How do you think humor can be useful to Christianity?
In boring sermons, in expressing the love of Christ, in expressing the joy of our salvation, in keeping our heads up during tough times, in creating new memories in fellowship. If a person has laughed with you until their stomach hurts and their eyes tear up, chances are, they will see the joy in your heart and desire Christ as part of their lives.
In your opinion, how is humor different from sarcasm/cynicism?
Humor doesn’t have to be sarcastic or cynical. Sarcasm/cynicism doesn’t have to be funny, it can be just plain mean. Also, if sarcasm and cynicism are used lightly, they can also be quite funny.
At what point in life did you really start to embrace the idea “wow, i think I might be funny”?
God created me that way. I can’t just be serious. I think that God has blessed me with the ability to be able to joke even during tough times and I thank God for it. I can be serious but most of the time we have to be able to smile and laugh, even when something is serious.
Why do you want to be funny?
I don’t. I just am. I am wired to want to make people laugh and have a good time.
Have you ever tried to do stand-up?
Yes, once at church… it TOTALLY didn’t work, lol.
Do you have a favorite quote (or joke or story) about comedy, humor, and making people laugh?
The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ~e.e. cummings
About Me
- J
- I love writing. If you want to know anything else just ask me or else read up! I have two blogs ("A Pen Itching To Bleed Onto Paper" and "The Rebirth of J"). One of my blogs (A Pen...) is updated more frequently than the other. "The Rebirth” is more of a story I am writing with my life whereas "A Pen" would be my random thoughts past, present, and future in this unfolding journey I call life. If this is your first time reading my blog, please visit Post #2 for the month of April 2008 in my "A Pen" blog archives... Thanks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I know this isn't the answer you want but I just have to say Carol Burnett could make me laugh. Interesting subject about humor and christianity. I think my Jesus would approve of humor.
if we are made in god's image, then god must have a sense of humor. and why make us capable of that type of joy without an accompanying physical expression? not to mention that laughter is so easily shared, i think god would go with that bit, for sure. besides- have you ever seen an armadillo? yeah- god laughs.
Post a Comment