To grow up
Is there a proper age to “grow up?” Is there a specific age where you should stop being immature, become responsible, stop chasing childish adventures and simply settle down? If so what is that age or what is that point? Does it just happen on its own or do you work towards it? Does somebody or something force you into it or do you just eventually end up doing it?
I am 26 years old. Please don’t get me wrong, I am not irresponsible in terms of being financially careless, and I am not getting in bar fights every weekend. In certain ways I am afraid to grow old. I am afraid of becoming a boring routine-driven parent of 2.5 kids, having “dinner parties” with people that I abhor, having to tell my wife my every move both financially and physically, tied down to a mortgage and a job that I detest but continue to work simply because it pays the bills. The first step to that of course being getting the job that I detest (my current job), the second of which being getting married.
I am 26 and I don’t want to begin running that last race towards social security (or lack there of in the future of my generation), and wrinkles all over my body, and of course my last assisted steps toward the casket.
Marriage is such a major step in that direction. Marriage, to me, seems like the point of no return. Prior to marriage you don’t have to worry about anybody but yourself. Prior to marriage it doesn’t matter how much money you make. Prior to marriage you are basically free. But it is a step that one not only has to take, but eventually you desire to make this change.
I’m at that point. I’m still an impossible dreamer, I am still frivolous with my money, I still enjoy my freedom, but I am also in love with a woman that makes me want to change everything that I am so that she would be happy. So as of now I will be trying my best to take steps towards growing up. Wish me luck.
About Me
- J
- I love writing. If you want to know anything else just ask me or else read up! I have two blogs ("A Pen Itching To Bleed Onto Paper" and "The Rebirth of J"). One of my blogs (A Pen...) is updated more frequently than the other. "The Rebirth” is more of a story I am writing with my life whereas "A Pen" would be my random thoughts past, present, and future in this unfolding journey I call life. If this is your first time reading my blog, please visit Post #2 for the month of April 2008 in my "A Pen" blog archives... Thanks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
J.Hope you don't mind me speaking my mind here. If you feel marriage brings all these negatives about maybe you aren't ready to give up your freedom yet. When you are married you do have another person to consider. Sorry to say you may get those wrinkles if you are married or not, its just reality and when you get to that point there will be more important things to worry about. Wish you well. Paula
growing up is scary. and it just hits you quickly. when'd time fly by so fast huh? ;) oh well, anyway hopefully you have the time to grow out of those feelings before the big m word, lol dinner parties with people you abhor? that would suck. lol
Post a Comment